Thursday, March 5, 2015

Data Search Lab: Palm Beach

Palm Beach County, Florida...



 
 
The results of two weeks' lab work are displayed above.  If someone had told me I'd be able to do this after 8 weeks of study, I wouldn't have believed them.  If I had another couple of weeks, the maps would look better  - but all things considered, I'm quite proud of what I accomplished.
 
This week's lab asked us to search for specific types of data, download the data, put all data in the same projection, clip it to be within a specified county (Palm Beach in my case), and then make everything look sharp.  Some of the data was vector, some was raster.  Some came from Labins, some from FGDL, some from USGS.  One thing that struck me during this process - there is a TON of data out there, and it's quite interesting to check it all out.  There will come a time when I have the luxury of doing that, but not right now!
 
The repetition of adding data, checking out the metadata, reprojecting, and clipping made me really understand the process.  I don't have to look through old lab notes to do it any more, and I call that progress. 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment