Thursday, March 12, 2015

Flow Line Mapping

Lab 9: Map of Immigration to the U.S. using Flow Lines

 
 
This week we were asked to make a map in Corel Draw.  The focus of the lab was Flow Lines.  After choosing one of two base maps already made for us in ArcMAP,  I added curved lines using the Bezier tool, then modified them so that they fit the main criteria - not interfering with the features underneath.  To do this, I made them transparent.  I combined this effect with line colors to match each region.  The exception was Asia, which has a grey line  - yellow seemed too light and too similar to the green of Oceania's line.  Arrows were added to one end of the flow line and resized to fit. 
 
In Excel, a formula was used to find the proportional width of each flow line based on the number of immigrants coming from each region.  This way the flow lines visually represent not only direction of movement, but the number of people moving.
 
The last step was to create a legend and all the other usual map elements, and to experiment with some of the stylistic effects available in Corel.  Options included changing color schemes for the regions and U.S. States, making the flow lines transparent, and using the Drop Shadow, Extrude, and Bevel tools.  I chose to make my lines transparent and to use Drop Shadow on the map title. 
 
I think the most useful part of this lab was learning how to use the Bezier tool to make curved lines.  It isn't easy, in my opinion, and it took a lot of trial and error to get the 6 on my map to come out the way they did, but it will be a good skill to develop as curved lines are so common on maps.  I also struggled at first making the choropleth map legend, and at the end I had learned how to use the eye dropper to match fill color, and had worked with the rotate feature enough to get the hang of it.
 
All in all, it was a productive week and a fun, challenging lab.

No comments:

Post a Comment