Thursday, April 20, 2017

Portfolio



This portfolio presents most of the projects completed during coursework for the Graduate Certificate in GIS for Archaeology at the University of West Florida.  These courses included Cartography, Introduction to GIS, Remote Sensing, GIS for Archaeology, and Special Topics in Archaeology.  It also includes a project begun during the final semester, Spring 2017, when I worked as an intern at the New Bedford Whaling Museum in Massachusetts.  I created an Esri Story Tour based on a logbook of a voyage taken by Horatio Hathaway from New York to China and back in 1850-1851. This project is ongoing.

A link to my portfolio can be found here, and a short video explaining my favorite project can be found here.  The Story Tour, although incomplete, can be viewed here.

Creating this portfolio required me to reflect back on how far I've come and how much I've learned over the past two years.  The maps show steady progress in my GIS skills and abilities, and the variety of topics and purposes for which these maps were made is quite impressive, looking back.  I feel like I have accomplished what I set out to learn and more.  I also realize where my strengths and weaknesses exist as they relate to GIS.  Overall, the process of creating the portfolio has left me feeling proud and hopeful that I can get meaningful, satisfying work in this field in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment